Travel insurance costs have been steadily increasing over the past decade, and that trend shows no signs of stopping in 2022. The average cost of travel insurance has increased from $15 to $50 from 2012 to 2017, and by 2022, it will rise to $100 or more, according to industry analysts. If you want to understand why your travel insurance costs are so high and how to lower them, read on for everything you need to know about travel insurance costs in 2022 and beyond.
10 Reasons You Should Always Buy Travel Insurance
- To protect your investment. No one wants to spend money on a trip only to have something go wrong and not be covered.
- To cover medical expenses. If you get sick or injured while on your trip, travel insurance can help cover the cost of medical care.
- To cover lost or stolen belongings. If your luggage gets lost or stolen, travel insurance can help reimburse you for the cost of replacing it.
- To cover flight cancellations or delays. Travel insurance will typically cover things like hotel stays, ground transportation, and meals if your airline cancels or delays your flight.
- To provide emergency assistance. The best part about travel insurance is that it provides emergency assistance 24 hours a day so you’re never alone no matter what happens on your trip.
- For pre-existing conditions coverage. Your health insurance at home may not cover all your costs abroad (or vice versa). So, make sure you know what type of coverage you need before traveling outside the U.S., even if it’s just a quick weekend trip.
- To get reimbursed for theft or loss of property when items are stolen from your checked baggage by an airport employee who wasn’t supposed to do so.
- As an alternative to getting cash out from an ATM when traveling internationally.
- When you’re visiting another country with different healthcare regulations than those in the US, travel insurance may be necessary to avoid expensive treatments.
- When you’re traveling internationally with children under 18 years old, many carriers require them to be accompanied by an adult who has adequate medical coverage.
How Much Does It Really Cost?
When it comes to the cost of travel insurance, there are a few things you need to take into account. The first is the destination of your trip. If you’re going somewhere within your home country, you’ll likely pay less for insurance than if you’re traveling internationally. The second factor is the length of your trip. A shorter trip will usually cost less to insure than a longer one. And finally, the type of coverage you choose will also affect the price. For example, protection from terrorism and natural disasters typically costs more.
The total cost of travel insurance can vary greatly depending on these factors; however, the average annual cost for most people ranges between $250-$350 per year. That may seem like a lot at first glance but remember that with this protection, you’re getting peace of mind that you won’t have to worry about things like theft or lost luggage while abroad.
Quick Guide To Getting The Best Deal on Insurance
- Research the average cost of travel insurance for your trip.
- Determine what type of coverage you need.
- Get quotes from multiple insurers.
- Compare the prices and coverage options.
- Pick the insurance policy that meets your needs.
Conclusion – Where Should I Get My Quotes From?
Now that you know the average cost of travel insurance for a family of four, where should you get your quotes from? Compare prices and coverage from multiple insurers to find the best policy for your needs. Keep in mind that the cheapest option isn’t always the best, so be sure to read the fine print before buying.